Posted by Sulcabrush Express on 10/14/2022 to Receding Gums
Gum Recession Prevention - Receding Gums
Regardless of the cause of gum recession, preventative measures should still be taken to keep it from advancing. The following tips reduce your risk of receding gums and increase your overall oral health:
- Quit Smoking – Tobacco usage can increase the harmful bacteria in your mouth. Quitting will prevent tooth decay, gum recession, and other harmful side effects of smoking.
- Maintain Proper Oral Care - Taking proper care of your teeth is essential to overall oral health. Brushing twice a day, flossing regularly, and using an antibacterial mouthwash can improve teeth and gum health and prevent additional gum recession.
- Choose Healthy Foods – Not only do crisp fruits and vegetables help reduce plaque, but the vitamins and nutrients from healthy food can also help discourage the growth bacteria in your mouth. Since bacteria thrive on sugars, avoiding sugary foods is a good way to prevent gum irritation.
- Visit the Dentist – Regular dental visits (i.e., every six months at a minimum) is the best way to stay on top of your oral health. Professional cleanings remove plaque and tartar that can cause gum disease and allow your dentist to monitor gum health for any signs of gum disease.
- Treat Existing Conditions – Crooked teeth, a misaligned bite, or teeth grinding can increase your risk for gum disease and receding gums. Treating these conditions reduces the wear and tear on your gums and teeth and your risk of gum recession.
Copyright 2023 Sulcabrush Express. All Rights Reserved.